Monday, June 27, 2011

a failed pinhole experiment

When I was going around taking photos for my coursework, I also took some pinhole pictures of the similar theme. My pinhole camera was a DIY one, I think it was meant as a DIY toy for kids. I bought it in a random gift shop in Taiwan last year on my GCP trip. It's not all that great, but it made me curious enough to buy it and try it out.

the box that my pinhole camera came in. it came from a company called "kids.labs."


a picture of my pinhole camera. I assembled it myself :D
it doesn't need batteries, doesn't have a LCD screen and a proper viewfinder (it's just a plastic frame stuck on top of the camera, I didn't really trust it since it was like 5cm away from the pinhole). it also used film, so I didn't know how the pictures would turn out and if I used the camera correctly. I could only keep taking till the film runs out.


my roll of film.

As the pinhole camera used a normal 135mm film, I sent the film for developing at a printing shop. Unfortunately, when I went to collect the pictures and film, the staff there said that they couldn't print out any of the pictures, because they were apparently all too blur/unclear/wrongly exposed etc. Basically they didn't develop any of the photos out because the pictures probably won't show. Though I was upset and disappointed, I looked through the film again and realised out of the 20 over shots that I took, some of them actually came out pretty successfully (the exposure and everything seemed correct).
So below are some of the pictures I took using the pinhole camera. I took photos of the film against a light source so the pictures on it would show better.


this, if I'm not wrong, is a picture of a kite in the sky. I think I took it at West Coast Park, thus there are so many trees in the foreground.


this is a picture of a swing.

this is another picture of the same set of swings.


this is a picture of a hopscotch.

I really want to try taking pinhole pictures again and hopefully figure out what went wrong with my pictures. Through that I hope I can take better pinhole pictures and hopefully be able to develop them.
However, I think I should move on with my coursework, so I shall put aside my pinhole camera for now :)

1 comment:

  1. Actually, we have facilities to develop the film in our Art room... also, we do teach pinhole photography as well and this we do by using recycled tins... Mr Chang is an expert in this... He even did it using a hollowed out water melon before... :P

    ReplyDelete