Monday, August 29, 2011

Long due: experimenting with different ways of drawing

A long time ago (it was so long ago that I can't even remember if we did it this year or last year), we did an drawing exercise where we were supposed to draw certain still items (placed on our tables) in different ways: gestural, close observation and contour. We were also supposed to doodle. Below are my drawings:

GESTURAL


I thought this (^) was pretty awful because I do not like to and can't really draw humans. I was trying to draw a Barbie doll. I think I just gave up drawing the face and thus it has no face :D

I think I used charcoal for this drawing (above). I like how the hat turned out because the smudged areas make the hat look coloured.



DOODLES

I don't really doodle because I can't multitask very well (so usually in class I'm either listening or stoning. but never both at the same time). However, when I do doodle (when I'm really bored or when I was younger), I tend to draw cartoons that came from nowhere.






CONTOUR

I don't like contour drawing, because when I draw I tend to sketch (and end up with very rough sketches with a lot of lines). It was quite a pain for me to complete the requirement of 5 contour drawings for this exercise.






CLOSE OBSERVATION






I shall explain why I am posting this only now, when even my coursework is almost completed. I actually scanned the drawings in quite a while ago (in March) but then due to my forgetfulness, my thumbdrive (with all my scans) ended up in the washing machine. Miraculously it survived, and being the kiasu person I am, I copied all the files in the thumbdrive to another thumbdrive. And luckily I did because the thumbdrive died soon afterwards. However for some reason, I completely forgotten about these scanned images. Until just now, when I was browsing through my thumbdrive. So yup this is why I posted this so late :)

No comments:

Post a Comment