This painting was done with acrylic paint. For this assignment, we were told to choose a portrait painting and try to imitate it. Sadly I can't remember the name of the painting or the artist at the moment :( I was pleasantly surprised by how the artwork turned out at the end, because it was my first acrylic work and I wasn't very good at painting. Of the entire painting, I am most proud of the man's shield because I think the colours blended well and it looks very much like reflecting metal. I remember spending one entire lesson (3 hours) on it :D On the other hand, I thought the man's face was too orange. I also thought I could have painted the background better because the blending wasn't well done. It was the first part that I painted, and I didn't have time to improve on it later on. What intrigued me the most about my painting is that the man looked much younger in mine as compared to the original painting. Maybe it is because of the way I drew the man, it looks less realistic as compared to the original. For this assignment, we were supposed to choose a picture and draw abstract pieces based on the original picture. Our teacher gave us a quota on the number of abstract art works we had to do so that we can make full use of our creativity. My first few pieces were mostly similar to the original, I only used different materials to copy out the picture. However, as I went on, I felt that I became more daring because there simply wasn't that many different materials to try on. I began to break the picture up into different parts and even imagine the subject of the picture in different scenarios. Overall, I think I learnt more about thinking out of the box through this assignment. On a side note, the picture on the left (<---) is my original picture. I took this picture myself sometime last year. I think I get an advantage in this exercise by using my own photo instead of using one found on the Internet because I can recall the time I took this picture. I can imagine myself taking photos of the same subject from different angles and from there create some of my abstract pieces.
This piece was done with oil pastels. I like this piece a lot because the flower has more vibrant colours (the pink) while the water reflection are mostly coloured with pastel colours. This makes the subject of the picture stand out more.
This piece was the product of me imagining the subject of the photo (the flower) in another scenario -- in this case, the middle of a highway. I felt that this piece is meaningful because the original picture was taken in Botanical
Gardens. This piece kind of makes me wonder what will happen to all those flora and fauna if the area was developed into infrastructure for humans.
This was done with felt-tip markers and crayons. I feel that the background could be improved on because there are quite a lot of white spaces that weren't coloured. I think the crayons that I used were for toddlers and young kids (because I found them somewhere in my closet), so the colouring didn't turn out as well as it would had if I used crayons meant for art.
This was done on black paper with white colour pencils. I drew the flower in an imaginary lake/pond.
This was drawn entirely with colour pencils. Personally, I liked how the picture turned out because the colours blended well with each other. After that, we had to form pairs and try to combine our two pictures together into one abstract piece. We also had to make use of the style of a particular abstract artist and use one of his/her works as reference. My partner was Hannah, whose picture was also of a plant. I couldn't remember the artist whose works Hannah and I referred to though...
This is our final artwork, done with markers (for the detailed parts) and ink (for the background). The artist that we chose distinctly uses "batik style" in her works, and we imitated her by having very detailed patterns and vibrant colours in our work. I also used ink for the first time when doing this assignment. We had to wet the paper with a wet brush before dropping ink on the paper. The wet parts were supposed to be paths for the ink to flow evenly, like in batik painting. It was tougher than it sounds because we were really afraid that the paper would tear after it gets wet. Our final artwork's background had a furry texture because we kept wetting it over and over again after it dried :D
(sorry that the formatting of the post is pretty screwed up :/)
















You should try and split your posts so that it is easier to respond to your posts...
ReplyDeleteFor the portrait, yes, I think the metal collar piece on the shoulder is very convincingly painted too... there is a subtlety in tones as well as enough contrast which makes that piece attractive... As for the face maybe need to explore a wider range of tones and also be bold enough to show the contrast in tones to give it a more 3D feel...
As for the exercise on abstraction, some of your more imaginative compositions are really interesting. Final work is attractive too. I know that it was tedious doing the details in the final piece but I hope you had fun... :)
hello junhui! I think the photo that you took for your abstract art assignment is really pretty, good photography skills :D You have some interesting compositions in a variety of mediums. I like the one done in colour pencils and I agree with you that the colours complemented each other well :D
ReplyDeleteYOUR FINAL PIECE IS REALLY PRETTY ^^ very colourful and detailed! The batik style is so cool, the process sounds like hard work though O: I want to try painting in this style someday :D